Teatime treat or dessert - gluten free, dairy free and processed sugar free
Chocolatey and dense brownies you can keep in the freezer for tea time or even make into a dessert.
Allow an extra 45-60 minutes to roast your sweet potato or just put them in the oven when you are cooking something else.
- 250g of cooked mashed up flesh from a sweet potato (usually about 1 large potato)
- 2 eggs
- Put a whole sweet potato in the oven when cooking something else, let it cool, scoop out flesh, mash with a fork and weigh out 250g and either use it then or freeze it. The recipe works best when you measure the 250g. Freeze any excess labelling weight to use in future.
- 100 g buckwheat flour
- 50 g cacao powder
- ½ tspn baking powder
- ½ tspn of salt
- 100 ml hot coffee ( use ½ tspn instant decaf coffee to 100 ml boiling water)
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons of xylitol or 3 tbspns maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- Measuring jug
- 8” or 20 cm square baking tin lined with greaseproof paper
- Set your oven onto 170 degrees C
- Weigh into your mixing bowl 100g buckwheat flour, 50g of cacao powder, ½ teaspoon baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir to mix through and set aside.
- Make up the 100 ml of hot coffee with boiling water into the measuring jug and break in the 50g of dark chocolate. Give this a good stir until all the chocolate is melted.
- In the other bowl add the mashed sweet potato and pour in the coffee and chocolate mixture. Stir well. Add the rest of the ingredients – two tablespoons xylitol, two tablespoons of melted coconut oil and teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix until you have a nice smooth consistency.
- Break the eggs into the measuring jug, whisk briefly, add to the wet ingredients and stir.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet and carefully fold through until combined. Don’t over mix or you will make your brownies denser. Pour into baking tin, level off and cook for 25 minutes.
- Leave to go cold in the tin, then turn out cut the edges off to neaten if you like and cut into 12 squares.