Starter, Side, Picnic or Lunch Box -- Gluten free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian
Make ahead and warm through to reheat or eat cold. Nice served with a yoghurt dip or cashew nut sauce for dairy free.
Cooked bhajis freeze well , freeze individually first on a plate or tray then put them in a bag, box or jar (stops them all sticking together!)
Inspired by Maple Spice
- 1 broccoli head
- 1 chilli (about a 5 cm long piece is enough chilli)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 70g gram flour (also known as chickpea flour, garbanzo bean flour or besan)
- 1 heaped teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Chopping Board
- Food Processor or blender
- Small frying pan
- Wooden Spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring jug
- Baking tray lined with greased parchment or non-stick foil
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- Chop the onion, chilli and garlic.
- Fry the onion in some coconut oil until softened and going translucent, add the chilli and garlic and fry for another 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Chop the tough stalk off the broccoli and process the florets to a fine consistency (as if you were making broccoli rice) and put into your mixing bowl.
- Add all dry ingredients into your mixing bowl – 70g gram flour, 1 heaped tbspn arrowroot, 1 tspn gluten free baking powder, half a tspn of turmeric, half a tspn of salt and a grind of pepper. Stir together to mix really well making sure you have no lumps of flour.
- Add the beaten egg and stir well. You want a really thick batter consistency. You might need to add a tablespoon or so of water if your egg wasn't big enough and it is too dry.
- Add the onion, garlic and chilli from the frying pan and stir well again to combine through.
- Take a teaspoon and scoop up a heaped spoon’s worth of the mixture and roll it roughly into a ball. It helps if your hands are wet. Put them onto the baking tray. I find this is a good size.
- Repeat until all the mixture is gone.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until fully cooked and lightly golden brown on top.